Sunday, May 24, 2015

LEGAZPI

First week sa field:
shower out of a bucket everyday: check
walk through a rice field: check
teach in a grass hut: check
butcher the Tagalog language: check
get stares for being white: check
sweat a lot: check
wear a bun in my hair and no makeup everyday: check
realize the gift of tongues: check
fall in love with the people: check
love being a missionary: double check

I have been assigned in a city called Bulan, about 2 hours from Legazpi. Our area is called San Vicente. My kasama, Sister Tarantan and I are opening an area that was previously closed and combining it with her old area. It's a lot of work but it's great! I'm the first american to serve here so you best believe I get lots of stares and double takes.

The culture here is amazing. So different than the US, but I love LOVE it. My only real struggle is the language. It's hard, but I was personally promised that if I did my best and gave my all, that I'd be fluent in 3 months. SO HERE WE GO! Anyone and everyone who has learned a language or is learning a language, what are some strategies that you found helpful or ways that helped you? yeah? I could use all the help I can get.

Since being here, the Lord has really taught me patience. We all know how impatient I was before I left, and in the MTC that was the main thing I learned. Patience with myself, with others, with God's plan for me, everything. I find peace in knowing that I am right where I'm supposed to be and that I will be where I'm supposed to be in the future.

So this upcoming Satuday we have two baptisms! Sister Sunshine and Sister Pamela. Basically I love these people so much. Even though I can't understand half of the things they're saying to me, I just adore them. I had to speak in Sacrament meeting yesterday and it was the definition of Taglish, man. But it wasn't even scary because the people are just SO loving and SO accepting. I'm very very blessed to be here.

I love you all!

Sister Wilkins

No comments:

Post a Comment